November 19, 2012
Regardless of your generation, the expression “kids these days” endures, not necessarily in a bad way. Kids these days will change and are changing the world. TEDxYouth@1000Lakes is a youth-organized event that will bring together a diverse group of people for an inspiring day ideas worth spreading.
TEDxYouth@1000Lakes was held November 19, 2012 at The Myles Reif Performing Arts Center in Grand Rapids, MN. The theme of TEDxYouth@1000Lakes is “Kids These Days”. Our goal - to engage a diverse group of students from across the Itasca area in an inspiring and fun day of ideas worth spreading, co-learning and reflection. 100 high school students from Floodwood, Hill City, Grand Rapids, Big Fork, Greenway, Nashwauk-Keewatin, the Area Learning Program, Northland Community Schools, the Bug o nay ge shig School, Northern Lights Community School, and home schoolers participated.
Link to media coverage by the Grand Rapids Herald Review
Link to TEDxYouth@1000Lakes page on the TED Website
Session I – 10:15 – 11:45 am
- Emily LaPlant – Improvisation
- Steve Boland – Hyper History
- Niki Julien – Kids these days have options
- Solveig Viren – Violin Performance
- Christopher Matetich – Is technology enhancing our ability to communicate or interfering with it?
- Nikki Frick – Flexibility in light of the global financial crisis
- Frieda Hall – What we learn with pleasure we never forget
- Luke Kingsbury - Limiting the Use of Technology
- Elizabeth Olson - Kids These Days Can Face Challenges with Courage
- Michael LaRoque – Piano Performance
- Emma Fowler – A work-free life